Winter Weather Decision

Winter Weather Decisions

It feels to early to be writing this email, but looking at the forecast, and the thermometer tell me it's very timely.  Winter weather advisories are popping up on my email and my twitter feed so I want you to be aware how I make a decision for a school cancelation or late start and usually when I make it.  Usually, I start around 4:00 a.m. with a look at the weather forecast and check in with Garret from the DPW.  He will advise as to what the local conditions are and what they need to do to get the roads safe for travel.  I also check in with my colleagues across Hampshire County.  Since we have students and staff who  travel throughout the county to get here it's important that all roads are safe for travel, not just our local roads.  

A decision will be made by 5:30 for a posting to television, website, and radio.  Look for an email blast from your child's principal as well.  If you haven't heard or read something by 6:00 a.m. we have school.  

If the precipitation is over or almost over by 8:00 a.m. and they just need time to get the roads cleared, then we will try our best to have a two hour late start.  If there's more than 6 inches we will likely call for the entire day because it takes the road crews and building custodians that much longer to clear that much more snow and the parking lots, too.  If there's ice and that's going to continue during hte morning travel hours, I usually will cancel the day.  We make up all canceled snow days, but not the hours of a late start.  

I hope this helps to understand the decision making process.  I want everyone to be safe most of all.

Be safe out there.